Pages - Menu

Thursday, June 21, 2012

How to get him to help with the housework

I always wanted to make this blog a helpful resource, and I think you'd have to agree that, so far, it's achieved that goal with flying colours.  So please keep reading if you want another gem.

I've noticed in my chats with the ladies during school drop-off and pick-up that there's a common issue or gripe that they have with their male partners.  Housework.  The whole "man goes to work and woman stays home to look after the kids" scenario has been long gone.  However, whilst the ladies have gone back to work it doesn't seem that men have picked up the slack on the home front.

Well ladies (and men), I have the solution...

Turn those chores that your men don't like doing into EXTREME chores.  Disappointingly, this is not my idea, but has been going on for a few years now in the form of Extreme Ironing.  Yes, this is a real phenomenon (phenomena?)



I think you'd have to agree it's a pretty good solution.



Your man gets some fresh air, some exercise - you get the ironing done.  It's win-win as far as I can see.



And you don't have to stop at ironing. I'm sure there are heaps of household chores that can be done in an extreme way.  Extreme cooking?  Extreme sewing?  Extreme vacuuming?

I quick look on the internet found Extreme Cello. I don't see the benefits of extreme cello so I can't personally recommend it, other than to say it makes playing the Cello are more manly pursuit.

So ladies, get him to help with the chores by taking it to the extreme. 

If that doesn't work, either let him drink beer whilst performing said chores, or threaten to hold back other things he wants - until he does what you want.

COPYRIGHT
Creative Commons License
Journey into Stuff by Jeff Bilman is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Please note, visitors to this website are solely responsible for the information they post. Any posting of copyrighted material is strictly prohibited and the owner of this website shall not be responsible for any copyrighted material uploaded by third parties.

The images are Copyright The Extreme Ironing Bureau.


2 comments:

  1. My most hated housework chore is cleaning the shower/bathroom. How do I make that extreme? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Ms Hodgehegs. I'm not sure how to give you advice on making it extreme and keeping my website's PG rating. If you cannot get your husband to clean the shower/bathroom using some of the other techniques discussed, there are meditation/religious techniques you could try. Try focus - you are not cleaning a bathroom, your hand is simply moving over a surface and you are concenatrating on all the sensations associated with that (ps. do not breathe too deeply if using toxic cleansers). Secondly, think of the task as a valuable service to others. ie. your family.

    ReplyDelete